Fontastic 08: Handwriting + Free Fonts

/
Fontastic 08: Handwriting + Free Fonts - yuniquelysweet.blogspot.com

Despite the fact that it's kind of dying in real life, handwriting has been a favourite for the last few years among bloggers and creatives. And I do not think the hype would die any time soon. On the contrary, I predict it will only get more popular - as we all can see how many more people started implementing it into their blogs + works lately. I guess it's probably because everything is digital nowadays, so "old-fashioned" stuff has become more appealing. Since it gives a personal feel + unique touch into what they create. 

Now, if you're also interested in getting yourself into it and want to master a new skill, I have gathered a handful of links for you to begin with. From an easy guide to improving your handwriting + free worksheet, basic techniques of various forms of handwriting art, to how to digitize your artwork.

Helpful Resources

First thing first, let's find you some weapons before going to the battle. Noor shared all the tools you need to get started.

You're not confident with how your handwriting look? Here's 5 easy ways to improve your handwriting by Mellisa Esplin. There's a free worksheet you can use to practice. It's so easy, but you have to be diligent!

It's not exactly a tutorial, but this behind-the-scenes of Jasmine Dowling's work over A Pair & A Spare will give you an idea how to work with your brushes.

Oh So Beautiful Paper invited Ladyfingers Letterpress to show you how to personalize envelope address with hand lettering. If you love sending mails, you must give this a shot. You'll make the receiver feel extra special with it.

Julie Blanner has a great tutorial to learn calligraphy in only, wait for it, 5 DAYS!

Since we're in a digital era, you might want to turn your work into a digital file. Melyssa will tell you how to make your hand-lettered art into digital in Photoshop. No scanner needed!

While Jennifer of Hello Brio explained how to digitize it using Illustrator. BTW, she has a ton of hand lettering tutorials on her blog. Make sure you check them all out.

And how about create your own font based on handwriting? Liza wrote an amazing step-by-step on DIY handwriting font. Cool!

A fun lettering project conducted by Miranti. This will be a great medium to show off your progress and keep you motivated as well throughout the year!

Well, that's it! I hope I have covered this topic well. I honestly was confused with the terms. I got suspicious when all the articles and tutorials I wanted to feature here didn't mention anything about handwriting. Instead they all kept using the term "hand lettering". I was not sure whether to change my post title to "hand lettering" or not. You know, to save myself from embarrassment. But, in the end I kept "hand writing" as the title since this post is mixed-up with stuff other than lettering. This made me realized that there's so much I have yet to learn about this design world. That's why please enlighten me with your knowledge or correct me if I'm wrong.

Free Fonts To Download

I also put up a round-up of beautiful handwritten fonts if you're not an artsy type of person but dying to follow the trend. These are great alternative you can use for your blog, blogposts, etc. Links below!

Fontastic 08: Handwriting + Free Fonts - yuniquelysweet.blogspot.com

So...are you loving this handwriting trend in the blogosphere? Would you like to try it out yourself? Know another places to learn it? I'm eager to hear what you have to say about it!

ps. Here are free script fonts to check out!

21 comments:

  1. These are great, thanks for sharing!

    Candice | Beauty Candy Loves
    ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. fantastic post! I always love the idea of handwriting fonts and love the ones I see on blogs but it is so hard to find good ones myself, so I am def. happy with this little round up. Will look into the links above too this weekend and maybe try to create my own!

    rae of love from berlin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm kind of obsessed with handwritten fonts. I have a ton of them installed on my desktop. Haha. And I absolutely love all those beautiful handwritings scattering all over the blogosphere.

      Yeah, you should definitely give it a try! I actually have been practicing it earlier this month. Still in the handwriting improvement stage, though! Haha. Will start to doodle words next week, I hope..Well, thanks for stopping by, Rae!

      Delete
  3. Bah! I love Fonts! I'm sooo intimidated by trying to make my own handwritten font though. Maybe I will try though now that I have some resources from this entry =)

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't be silly, Joy! You are talented and you can draw! I'm confident that your handwriting would be just as good as your drawing. So, I'm totally looking forward to your font! ;)

      Happy new year, too! :)

      Delete
  4. I've been trying to find a free font similar to Jacques&Giles, which is my most favorite handwritten font I've come across yet. Thank you so much for sharing Janda Stylish Script with us! My search can now end :) -Audrey | Brunch at Audrey's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I love Jacque & Giles. Such a beauty! Well, I'm glad that I could help to end the journey. ;) Thanks for stopping by, Audrey. I love your blog so much! :D

      Delete
  5. I personally prefer clear fonts in blogposts but I love handwritten fonts in headers!
    Elina
    MISS BLUE EYES

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I said blogposts, I actually meant for the image in blogposts. Should make that statement more clearly. Haha. Handwritten for blogposts is a big no for me! Yeah, but for header? Yes please! :)

      Delete
  6. Awesome post and well timed! I've been so interested in learning this skill but have no idea where to start. I've opened each of these in a new window and can't wait to work my way through! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Courtney! I'm happy that I can help. Like you, I've been interested in learning it too. That's the reason I made this post. And also because it's just getting popular every year, so I thought many would be interested. Well, good luck - I hope to see your beautiful handwriting soon! :)

      Delete
  7. These are great Yuni! I do like the handwriting trend, I love the way it looks mixed with other fonts, like a sans serfi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! Hand lettering + a sans serif = love! :)

      Delete
  8. Great resources! I haven't seen any of these before. My handwriting is nice, but I'm not great at hand lettering. I'll just stick to fonts :) Thanks for this list, Yuni!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're most welcome, Carmia! :) Hahaha, the same with me! My handwriting is readable, but I suck when it comes to pretty letters. Well, it's about to change since I'm quite eager to master this art.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for these Yuni! Lovely choices and December is just so magnificently charming! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah...Reis, charming indeed! I instantly fell in love when I first saw it. :)

      Delete
  10. I love love love handwriting and I lack to understand how people can not be in love with it. I love both the simplicity and complexion of this art. Thank you for gathering around these links! :)

    Much love xx
    Catarina // ohkori.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, different person, different taste. But, yeah, it seems crazy that there are people who do not like it. :)

      Delete
  11. I have fallen in love with your blog, the layout, the content and everyone, so nice! This post I'm bookmarking for future use, thank-you! (:

    unciaandtigris.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww...thank you for your nice words, Clare! And I hope this post will be useful for you later. :)

      Delete

Search This Blog

All right reserved © Yuniquely Sweet

Archive