From Closet Into Blog (#BlogLove Week 1)

/
Do you have a plan to give your blog a makeover? Great! As promised, this month I'm going to start a mini series called #BlogLove (since February is all about love and your blog also deserves some love) where I will share some tips on how to improve + personalize your blog design. There will be one post every week, so keep watching this space for more. Here's what I'm planning to do:

Week 2: Choosing fonts - How to pair Google web fonts that suits your style
Week 3: DIY - Things you should do to improve your blog design
Week 4: Premade templates + blog designers - Where to find the perfect one for you?

From Closet Into Blog (#BlogLove - Week 1) - yuniquelysweet.com
 (image)

Before you create a design, first you need to decide what kind of style you're going to use for your blog. The easiest way is to follow the current trends. Sure, that's cool. But, I think your blog design should reflect you. Why? Because it will make you unique + different from millions of bloggers out there.

Okay, then where to start? First, take a look around you! Well, I specifically want you to peek into your own closet. What is more perfect to represent you other than your clothes? As the saying goes, "you are what you wear". And the great news is that it's totally doable to incorporate your wardrobe into your blog design. No worries, I'll show you how.

Things you need to observe

Color - Now open your closet and look closely at all of your items you have in there. What colours are they? Is there any certain colour dominating the rest? Pick that one along with two or three other top colours. And voila, you have your very own colour palette for the design. 

Pattern - You can ignore this if all of your clothes and the likes are simply plain. But, for you who likes patterned clothing, this is the chance to bring more fun into your design. On top of my head, you can use your favourite pattern as background for the whole layout or sidebar or header. Whatever. Just make sure you don't go too crazy and end up making a too-flashy design for your blog. Remember, balance is the key!

Style - Are you a minimalist? Or do you like retro? Perhaps you're more into preppy style? Well, this is maybe the ultimate thing you need to pay attention more, so you can decide whether you should go with minimal or whimsical? Modern or vintage?

Inspiration

To inspire you, I gathered some fashion styles + their application on a few blogs around the web.

From Closet Into Blog (#BlogLove - Week 1) - yuniquelysweet.com
(1, 2, 3, 4 , 5, 6)

In the closet: simple basic shapes, minimal detail, black and white, other neutral solid colours.
Tips: Keep everything neat + clean. Black on white is easier to read on the web, so use black for the text and white for main background. Apply black for borders to frame your layout and divide each post/widget in your sidebar.

From Closet Into Blog (#BlogLove - Week 1) - yuniquelysweet.com
(1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)

In the closet: bold and bright colours, playful patterns, fun accessories, unique cuts.
Tips:  Your favourite bright colours are perfect to emphasize text for headings (post title, widget title, etc). If you are not brave enough to fill your main background with patterns, you can use it as ornamental pieces, for your social media buttons, or background to spice up your sidebar.

From Closet Into Blog (#BlogLove - Week 1) - yuniquelysweet.com
(1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)

In the closet: lace, sheer, ruffle, mini skirts, flowing dresses, floral prints, soft and pastel colours.
Tips: Play with your lace to give some textures to your blog. Bring your floral prints into your header, post header or footer as decorative elements. If you want to go with simple + clean look, just take the colours and you can still get the same feminine, romantic feeling for your blog.

Your turn! Based on your closet, what would your blog design look like?

16 comments:

  1. Yuni, this is such a wonderful idea! Seriously, I can't wait to keep reading. I think looking into your closet to define the style you want for your blog is so creative. I think I'm closet No. 3 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I totally can see you fit #3. It's just so you! :) I'm glad that you liked this post. I'm hoping this post will inspire someone that wants a makeover for her/his blog! Can't wait to write the rest of this series!

      Delete
  2. Ahh I love this! When I look at my closet I see a lot of neutrals, some pops of color and a lot of cardigans :D Can't wait to see the rest of this series!


    Jessica
    the.pyreflies.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jessica! Oh, I think your blog already have reflected your wardrobe. That's great! :) I can't wait, too!

      Delete
  3. This is such a cute and unique post Yuni! Love the picks you chose and the corresponding blogs to fit the descriptors. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angel! I had so much fun writing this post. Although, I gotta admit that I was struggling a bit to find blogs that fit perfectly for #2 and #3 among the sea of minimalist-black-white blogs.

      Delete
  4. My personal style is Black + White, but I LOVE when I see someone on the streets wearing such vibrant and happy clothing, like the second style you featured. I'm now in love with Diana Rikasari's blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! Oh, Diana is a unique one. I'm always amazed how fun her outfits always are. You should follow her on Instagram as well. Her feed is as fun as her blog!

      Delete
  5. What a fun idea to get design inspiration from your closet, it makes total sense!! And thanks for including me in the Fun & Quirky category - I can't wait to check out all the other blogs you mentioned here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, Gloria. I always love your blog design. That is why your blog was the first come to my mind when I wrote the fun section. It just fits! :)

      Delete
  6. Hey Yuni! I just stumbled across your blog from a comment you left on my design page. Your blog is so awesome! I always love finding other fashion / graphic design related blogs. :)

    - katie
    http://www.thoughtcouture.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, I remember your blog + that post! Oh, same here. I love finding graphic design blogs, too. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. Lovely post and lovely idea for the series! Well done, Yuni :)

    I'd also add that one doesn't have to stay within closet area, especially if you're at that point when you're transitioning from one clothing style to another. Attention could be payed to clothes on your wishlist, too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, great idea! We could totally do that, too!

      Delete
  8. I love the variety of styles you picked! :)

    By the way, I've nominated you for the Infinity Dreams Award! x
    http://beckythewallflower.blogspot.de/2015/03/the-infinity-dreams-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. In love with your blog *bookmarked* ^^. My style more into no. 3 and thanks for the recomendations :) can't hardly next post abt choosing font :))

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

All right reserved © Yuniquely Sweet

Archive